• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FS: 1978 Mercedes Benz 240d - 4 speed manual - Philly suburbs

gone gone gone

gone gone gone

gone gone gone

For sale is my 1978 Mercedes Benz 240d. 4 speed manual. 250k+ miles.

PRICE DROP:

$4k with wheels and everything
    $3k without wheels
    $2600 without wheels and eurobumpers

car is located in Villanova, PA. Car has a clean MD title in my name.

IMs on here work best for contact.

Bought the car in the spring bone stock, it now sits as it is pictured below. Will come as it sits, plus the stock parts removed from the car that I can find/didn't trash (for sure the stock wheels with hubcaps and US bumpers, pictured in the picture marked as "what it looked like with stock wheels and US bumpers").

Car has only given me one real issue since I had it - alternator died. But it has a new alt as of July and has not given me an issues since then

Plus sides to the car:
    -Diesel (get around 30 as my average with city driving and on the highway - highway isnt stellar because it weighs so much and only has the 4 speed, but around town it is a champ)
    -4 speed manual - no grinding, no slop, good feeling clutch with no slip that I have ever felt/had reason to suspect
    -engine is strong - starts every time, will start warm without waiting for the glow plugs to cycle. has NEVER not turned off for me either
    -fairly minty interior - amazing for its age but not showroom new is how i would describe it - 1 small cut on the back of the rear seat but can be covered by the seatbelt when retracted, or just find a new back at a junkyard (my intention but never bothered me enough)
    -Lowered on cut springs - still rides really well, I equate it to a mk2/3 on a cupkit. drove it all last weekend at h2o not a hint of back pain (which I do get when I drive my scirocco for that long)
    -16x7/8 Rial mesh wheels, et 23/11, 205/45/16 tires with great tread left - no rubbing, scrubbing, or anything
    -E-Code headlights with yellow fog bulbs and 4500k h4 bi-xenon drop in HIDs (the good kind with the shield to minimize scatter, but will give regular h4s if not wanted) - crack in one lens but does not affect light output. does fog up, but burns off quickly when lights turned on. if needed I can tell you where to get replacements but it never bothered me enough
    -Euro bumpers - 3 piece/rubber endcap style - not perfect, got them off another vehicle and they show some wear. these have also been federalized and have steel reinforcement - if you hit something they wont bend like tinfoil, but they do weigh about the same as US bumpers
    -roll down windows - I treat this as a benefit because less motors to go
    -no passenger side mirror - OEM block off plate - never had a mirror on that side - base model 240d feature (or lack of)

Downs:
    -a/c does not work - bought it without it working, never investigated it, no belt on the compressor
    -sunroof is caulked shut - motor still gets power and sounds like it still works, but never investigated. does not leak at sunroof and drains dump at proper spots so it never bothered me enough
    -2 rust spots, pictured below. nothing underneath the car looks rusty, just those 2 on the upper body of the car
    -2 rear speakers not hooked up
    -antenna motor is not hooked up
    -odometer is finicky about recording miles
    -standard dents/dings/scratches on paint - nothing huge but not showroom perfect. hard to photograph but there

if I left anything out, which is very possible, ask and I will respond/edit the post with info, I tried to be as honest as possible about it.

2 rust spots I know of

what it looked like with stock wheels and US bumpers

Last edited by DrFraserCrane; 10-16-2010, 08:39 PM. Reason: GONE
    -Dictated but not read to expedite report.

interest in trades?
    Originally posted by Kielan
    I flip people off cause its the cool thing to do.

Comment

Originally posted by HouseOf1817 View Post
      interest in trades?

Pm'd

looking for cash but entertaining offers

Comment

price drop

Comment

offers?

Comment

I would get it but Houston is HOT and no AC is hard to handle, nice car though

Comment

Originally posted by BOXER83 View Post
              I would get it but Houston is HOT and no AC is hard to handle, nice car though
              a/c is all still there, just never investigated it. no v-belt running to the compressor so it wasnt any thing that affected drivability. PO said the pump siezed, but I never chose to look into it

Comment

looks better on stock wheels imo
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by slampiece View Post
                  looks better on stock wheels imo
                  cheaper that way

buy buy buy

Comment

ughhhhhhhhh soooooo fucking cool. Wish I had the disposable income. GLWS
                    1988 Toyota MR2 Supercharged
                    Stance:Nation Feature | Build Thread

Comment

Just curious, how much of the spring is cut to get that low? It's a beautiful car, sucks you had to sell it.
                      03' Lightning w/ Bolt-Ons | KLR 650 | Duece.

Originally posted by willis
                      This is Stanceworks, champ. Get with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Repiks View Post
                        Just curious, how much of the spring is cut to get that low? It's a beautiful car, sucks you had to sell it.
                        cut 3 coils off the front, 2 off the rear. I do not recall what spring pads the car had though (w123s had 3 or 4 different variations possible) I just cut until it looked good, haha.

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by DrFraserCrane View Post
                          cut 3 coils off the front, 2 off the rear. I do not recall what spring pads the car had though (w123s had 3 or 4 different variations possible) I just cut until it looked good, haha.

thanks
                          Preeshiate the info. I'm hopefully trading a motorcycle of mine for a 240d with a 4 speed and only 128k on her. I'll be going after your stance. It looks phenomenal.
                          03' Lightning w/ Bolt-Ons | KLR 650 | Duece.

Originally posted by willis
                          This is Stanceworks, champ. Get with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Repiks View Post
                            Preeshiate the info. I'm hopefully trading a motorcycle of mine for a 240d with a 4 speed and only 128k on her. I'll be going after your stance. It looks phenomenal.
                            haha, thanks

good deal, lucky find with the 4speed and low miles. let me know if you have any questions on things and good luck

Comment

Is this car gone?

Comment

Working...
                              X