Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help, anyone remove 1 or both height adjustment collars? Front coilover.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, anyone remove 1 or both height adjustment collars? Front coilover.

I have removed the rear spring perch on my Bilstein PSS kit, the spring is now sitting on a 5mm springpad.

In the front, I installed lowering strut hats, good for another half inch, but I want more. The rear looks dumped now compared to the front.

Who is running with a height collar removed? I could remove the small one, and lower the larger collar to the bottom, good for another half inch i'd guess. What can I do to prevent it from coming off, as they wont be tightened together anymore?

Sorry for n00bish question. I can't get lower in the front unless I cut/heat or buy new coils

Not stanced yet.

single tap i assumje? if you bottom out the spring perch i don't see where it could go, unless its some funny bmw suspension thing i don't know about.

Comment

well the two collars are tightened against each other, and the spring sits on that.

if I remove one, doesn't that increase the chance it could work its way off the threads and fall down a few inches (there is a bracket a few in. below the end of the threads)

Not stanced yet.

Comment

No, you can't remove that if you don't have a fully threaded damper.

Comment

Ya, I think I am SOL, the damper is not fully threaded. If it was, I'd have turned it down by now.

Bummer.

Not stanced yet.

Comment

Has anyone had the threads continued down the damper? Maybe a machine shop can do this. looked at my H&R coilovers laying around and it looks possible. Just a thought

Comment

^ why bother paying to do that? that means there will be zero shock travel at that point.
              Originally posted by Kielan
              I've had a lot more fun in my Dad's Prius than I care to admit.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeCamber View Post
                ^ why bother paying to do that? that means there will be zero shock travel at that point.
                I c what you are say but do you think a few extra threads like 5-maybe even 20mm should make a big difference. The reason I switched back to my eibach coilovers was one of the H&R dampers in my old setup in the front was busted after a massive pothole. Even with the busted front damper the springs still held the weight of the car without bottoming out. The uneven dampening of the dampers led to weird handling and that is why I swapped back to the eibach coilovers.

Comment

IDK how yours are made or even how they mount at the bottom ( i guess i could go look at my e46), but on FKs and some other vw coils you can take the inserts out of the front and shorten the strut body via machinshop/welder
                  sigpic

Comment

^ thanks, I am unsure I want to do that, or if i even can. The front has settled slightly since I posted this, its prob half a finger gap now, its looking pretty good. my acs lip is not very low tho (not even as low as the M3 skirt) so it is kind of giving the illusion its higher than it is.

anyway, got the car aligned on saturday cuz i was in at the shop anyway, so this height will have to do for now. need a set of spacers for the rear, then I will post pics somewhere.

new tires may help the front as well. i wonder if I could stick to a 225/45 rear and maybe run a 215/40 front. would lower it a tad.

Not stanced yet.

Comment

Working...
                    X