bmw e28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bmw e28

ive been on the mye28 forum for years but never registered here, my for sale thread is located on mye28.com:

$2500 (w/o style 5 16in wheels)

would you sell with the rims?

Comment

Can you sum that thread up here?

Comment

Originally posted by scoobiedoo2029 View Post
        ive been on the mye28 forum for years but never registered here, my for sale thread is located on mye28.com:

$2500 (w/o style 5 16in wheels)
        what motor and how many miles

Comment

full copy from mye28:

Originally posted by mye28 post

Posted: Jul 02, 2010 9:01 AM Post subject: euro converted m30 swaped 528e. $2500 obo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for sale bmw 1985 528e built10/84 265k miles.
          194k miles on motor/trans
          many upgrades and lots of spare parts.

I assume this car was leased when new, the first owner was a man named Martin Gorbaty, purchased the car in 1987 with 16k miles. he used the car as a fair weather commuter to get from New Jersey to New York. he kept up on maintenance very well, always dealer serviced and kept in peak condition. i have thousands and thousands of dollars in recipts from Mr. gorbatys ownership. he sold the car in 2001 with 170k miles in perfect garage kept condition. Mr. gorbaty is an interesting guy a bio. of him can be found here: http://www.chem.purdue.edu/distinguishedalumni.htm

the 2nd owner was a bmw enthusiast named tim that owned several bmw's. he bought the 528e for a highway car an vacations and long trips. he took very good care of his cars. but his wife made him sell this car as they just did not have room for it. he put about 50k miles on the car with impeccable service.

he sold the car in 2004 with 220/225k miles on it. the car was in beautiful condition at this point. i went along with the 3rd owner (aaron) when he bought the car from tim. we where blown away at its condition. i owned a 535is at the time and i envied this car mechanically. at this point i went out to try an find a similar condition e28, and i never have. ive gone an seen lots of e28's but never found one that compared to this car at this point.

so my friend aaron owned the car from 2004 untill winter 2008 when i finaly got him to let go of it. the week he bought the car he went for a long road trip down the east coast and up through luiesiana. the car was perfect at this time the paint was great and every bolt on the underside looked great. i helped aaron with some maintenance and replacement parts but he did the majority himself and at a local shop. Aaron had some bad practices. he lifted the car using the factory jack and using the factory lift point on the drivers front side. he did this to get clearance for his crappy floor jack and he did not use wood angst the frame rail. now in 2010 there is some rust in this area ive done my best to cut it out and stop it but the damage is done. its not that bad, infinitely better then the majority of e28's ive seen. and understand that the rust is removed not still intact giving the illusion there isn't a hole there.

aaron eventually stopped driving the car because it needed a round or sensors on the motor and he couldnt figure out what it needed. the car sat only being driven occasionally from fall 2007-latefall 2008 when i took ownership of the car. aaron did not have a garage, so durring his 4 years of ownership the car sat outside and he drove the car daily prior to sitting. the paint deteriorated during this time period. and the suspension started to show its age. at this point i had a tuned out 535 that had some bad rust on it. and came into ownership of this once nice 528 that needed some serious attention... but was perfectly solid and only aaron neglected the car.

knowing aaron as well as i do he didnt do anything too bad, except his lifting practices. witch on a car driven in the winter had some very negative impact. he also lipoed the bumpers, cracking the rear bumper in the process. i believe this is what started the rust at the drivers side rear American bumper shock hole. he also had a muffler fall off causing some slight damage to the rear valance. its fine just slightly kinked as shown in the pics.

onto my ownership.

this car is the end result of 6 years of e28 ownership. ive owned 4 and seen and considered buying more e28's then i can even consider counting. i always used to go see any e28 for sale in driving distance. ive always done my own work and never had to much trouble. so when i fell into possession of what in 2004 was a immaculate car i had some work to do. making it into what i wanted from an e28, a simple lightweight m30 powered e28, nice suspension and a clean interior and decent paint. the paint is unfortunate as the hood and roof really took a beating during aarons ownership. and while it was sitting something organic was left on the roof and hood staining it baldly. i resprayed the hood and did a good job using rustolioum metallic silver paint it matches well but under some angles it appears more blueish then the factory paint. i did the roof as well recently and it didnt come out as good but it still acceptable (im just to short), the trunk was professionally resprayed at some point in the past maybe under tim's ownership but most likly under Mr. gorbaty's although i have no receipt and the vins match. so the paint is cheap. but the sides of the car are still original paint. the paint was applied after simply scuffing the existing paint and applying 2 coats of paint. those two coats would come right off to reveal the factory paint and a great surface to apply good expensive paint if you so choose. all i did was scuff it down with 400 grit sand paper by hand, an lay down 2 coats of sliver. i painted the rear valance as well, going down to bare metal where there was rust and using rusty metal primer and then spraying sliver.

ive tried my best to remove all the rust this car has accumulated over the past 5 years. its in very good condition, and infinitely better then any sub $6000 e28 i have seen, and even some above 6k cars have had more rust. ive been able to stick a screwdriver through some part of every single e28 ive ever seen including garage kept m5's. this is better off then my 1997 m3 although no holes have developed on the m3 since i got to it first. but the holes shown from the existing rust is the result of my attempt to completely remove the cancerous rust and apply rust stopping paint. i avoided doing anything about the rust on the front drivers jack point, as i dont know what to do.. but still ive seen e28's with all 4 jack points much worse off then this car. i comfortably supported the car on jack stands using the rear jack points for a good amount of time during my rear suspension/driveline rebuild.

ive done alot of work turning this car into what i wanted from an e28. simple, lightweight, an as clean as is economical. i drove the car alot put about 8k miles on it from time of purchase. the cars been through a few transformations while i owned it.

first i got the car and cleaned it up rebuilt the front suspension and drove the car all last summer. it was an alright car for a 528e, slow as all can be but it was a fun quite car to drive around with great gas mileage. at some point in about july i got tired of looking at the American bumpers and i installed my euro bumpers and front spoiler. cosmetically turning the car how it looks now. after driving the car all last summer the old m20 wiring harness and sensors started to give me trouble sometimes. so i started prepping for a m30 swap.

around thanksgiving a trailing arm bushing started to go bad so i decided to rebuild the rear suspension witch turned out to be a very large undertaking. i installed poly rear subframe bushings from Ireland engineering and started trying to get trailing arm bushings changed. changing thee trailing arm bushings turned out to be beyond my skill level and beyond the skill of any shop i was able to find until about march. when i finally found a former bmw dealer mechanic locally. and he helped me out. but in the process one trailing arm was damaged and had to be replaced. so the car currently sits on 2 good trailing arms with new meyle bushings poly subframe bushings and newish billy sport shocks and eibach springs. i tried to get new rear strut mounts but i only received one with my order. so the passenger side strut mount is old not new. i also installed a 3.23 lsd that needs halfshaft seals as it leaks slightly but all is well. its worth it for the lsd.

so the car sat in my garage on jack stands from thanksgiving- late febuary. in the process of the rear end rebuild i also did the m30 swap. installing a getrag 265 along with it. i didn't tear down the motor as i just wanted to get it running for spring. since i knew the engine and trans where in good condition. the swap went together very well, the only issue i had was that the 528e air conditioning lines are right where the m30 intake is, so i removed the ac compressor to allow for a factory air box to be fitted since i didn't want to use a cone filter. the AC also was r12 and needed a charge anyway. my plan was to get the motor in and megasquirt it N/A then turbo it. i was going to try to follow the process of mye28.com forum user "bigbronzerim" but i have yet to buy megasquirt and get moving on this process. i got a ride in a turbo e34 535 awhile back an have been drooling since. i knew my car with that engine would be a monster. but my m3 has consumed my time and money.

so as the car sits right now its a well put together motor swapped 528 with a great body. all the glass is original with the exception of the front windshield that aaron had to replace, it got chiped and spiderwebed. the paint on the fenders/doors/rear quarters is original the trunk was resprayed at some point professionally. the front spoiler and hood where painted silver last summer before the swap and the roof done was recently, and its adequate but not as good as the hood, i only lightly scuffed the roof and after the paint went down its apparent i needed to sand it down further. but it looks so much better then it did, i can accept the cars appearance next to my perfect m3. but a complete respray would really take this car to the next level,

i been running had ran poly upper control arm bushings from bavarian autosport until about 2 months ago when i felt a little brake shimmy. upon removal of the control arms i came to the realization that the bav auto bushings are TOTAL CRAP. there are only 2 little nubs holding the sleeve in the bushings and there was a huge air bubble cast into the bushing!!!. i could tear these bushings apart with my hands after less then 5k miles. the control arms are new and it great shape though. the control arms i installed to replace theise are not in as good of shape, they have about 10k miles on them, they are the meyle hd arms with hd bushings. slightly worn as shown in the pic but the passenger side ball joint rubber boot got damaged by the previous owner (i got theise control arms used) ive been planing on getting a pair of upper and lower poly control arms bushings to install in the better control arms. but thats where the car sits at the moment.

the rear suspension could use a camber/toe adjustment as even though rebuilt the factory did it better then any mechanic can do. the car is currently slightly out of alignment but does not wear tires. ive been waiting to get it aligned as i cannot find a shop that would even consider helping me with the rear alignment, if i could find a shop to align it the rear would be aligned. but ive had no luck. i have alot of trouble getting the car aligned i have to remove the front spoiler to let the local shop do it as there alignment rig is ancient. there is a shop about 20 min away that will align the car without me removing the front spoiler but it takes awhile to get an appointment and last year they used a torch on the drivers tie rod instead of using pb blaster. frying the rubber boot.......... newish part too just didnt turn by hand on first try.....

the engine is in good shape. the harmonic balancer taps a bit on cold start but i havent removed the radiator yet to tighten it, if thats what it needs. there is a slight oil leak from the upper front timing chain cover by the chain tensioner. it makes a small oil spot under the car as shown in the pics. my plan was to put a b35 head on this b34 engine and fab a turbo manifold for it. that is where the car is at right now. and im offering it for sale instead of consuming my summer building this car. really my biggest reason for selling the car is that i have carpal tunnel in my left hand and the amount of wrenching i do is starting to get painful. as a result ive started procrastinating on car work across the board and my daily driver m3 needs my attention as well.

the exhaust is simple, a 528 muffler with no cat or resonator. single pipe put together with auto zone exhaust pieces. it doesn't seal the greatest but i have a dual pipe 535 muffler i was planning on installing but never got around to it. i knew that a factory exhaust is inadequate for a turbo car. so i wasn't going to spend any money on this until i knew what i needed.

__________________________________________________ ________________
          upgrades/ replaced parts.

1988 m6 close ratio steering box
          new steering linkage
          e34 aluminum lower control arms
          meyle hd upper control arms (2 sets one has bad poly bushings in them)
          new meyle front strut mounts.
          m30 swap
          getrag 265 ( desirable 1985 535 transmission)
          3.23 LSD installed, and a 2.93 open diff as a spare.
          poly rear subframe bushings
          new meyle rear trailing arm bushings
          bilstein sport shocks
          eibach rear springs
          m5 front springs with 2 coils cut. i considered these an upgrade from the eibachs an ditched them
          hartge front swaybar stock 15.5mm rear with new OEM lemforder links. SOLD...
          --included is a uninstalled set of dinan large adjustibal sway bars. SOLD...
          early mtech steering wheel (coarse spline)
          cardinal red leather power sport interior
          535 brake calipers/ brembo rotors and organic pads
          brass brake caliper bushings
          euro bumpers
          shark spoiler
          and more .....

piles of spare parts that cover just about any eventuality.

last summers alignment report.

please visit this slideshow to see all my pictures:

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l3...view=slideshow.

im looking to get $4000 for the car as is with no radio. as the radio is headed for the jag e-type. id take off $500 for the wheels as id like to keep them for my m3. a set of steel wheels and bottle caps are sitting in my shed that i have no use for. again this car comes with lots of spare parts. and a thorough history.

PM or email: scoobiedoo2029@yahoo.com
          2011 Outback 2.5i 6MT #subarubaru - daily/off-pavement adventure vehicle
          2001 BMW 325i Wagon 6MT #daswagoon - wife's #becauseracewagon
          1996 Suburban 2500 TD #superbbourbon - tow bitch/people hauler

Comment

so i have decided to keep the car, ill be droping it further an putting on a roof rack an using it as a winter beater

Comment

Working...
            X