Need Help getting the rear down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help getting the rear down

so i have an E36 3 series and i have the coilovers maxed out in the front (which i was only able to do because of my widebody which has the front fenders cut up higher...i actually plan to take the helper spring out this weekend and in theory i should have less than a 1/4 of ground clearance...we will see since im at 1/2 in the front right now)

aaanyway my question is regarding the rear suspension, i recently took out the adjuster in the rear to lower it another 1/4 - 1/2 inch but this i doubt will be enough to get rid of some of the rake...the rake is fairly noticeable...im at about 1/2 and inch off the ground at the front of the side skirt and i can fit a full size jack almost under the rear.

the suspension has a seperate spring and shock, and i was wondering if anybody had any clue on how to go lower, would i need smaller springs...which i don't think they make any significantly smaller ones, any help or suggestions appreciated, im looking to get at least 1 1/2 - 2 inches lower in the rear

Thanks,

Mark

Comment

yeah thats what i was thinking except im not sure if that would work

this is the adjuster removed

and here is the spring, the shock is seperate and the spring is spherically shaped, so if i cut the coils i feel like there would be a major issue with trying to get the spring to seat properly again, anybody know anything about this, whether it would turn out ok or not?

Comment

Call GC, and order a really short spring.
        -Instagram@jdjurhuus
        Stretchsaurus and Pokemon.

Comment

Originally posted by Zic View Post
          Call GC, and order a really short spring.
          they'll do custom orders for you? how much will this cost any idea...actually i'll just call them haha why am i harassing you

Comment

called gc today, they were of absolutly no help, the guy i was talking to had no idea or concept of how basic suspension geometry works this he explained was do to the fact that people in the company have to "wear multiple hats" as he put it, anyway for those who care gc says they can only sell you their suspensions in full kits and they won't seperate front/rear, this is due to different load capacities on the springs and they don't want to be sued and held accountable for selling you them...the people in this world, i can't stand how many lawsuits for stupid shit are going around...if you mix n match springs it should be your fault...not the companies whatever...back to square one

any ideas?

Comment

all you need to do is toss in a linear spring in there, and use the spring pad to shim it or get a the appropriate size that fits that adjuster. i have 6" eibach 425lb springs, 2.25 id that you can use with or without the spring pad. they are rated within tolerances for use with off the shelf bilstiens or konis. $65 shipped if you are interested.

Originally posted by Kielan
              I've had a lot more fun in my Dad's Prius than I care to admit.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

So those linear springs your selling..will they drop my rears down a lot more
                Last edited by Mark Ostrowski; 09-08-2010, 06:54 AM.

Comment

its all about length. these are 6" long. i am not sure how tall your current ones are. spring rate also needs to be accounted for, so you don't end up coil binding with too short of a spring. the shortest id go is with a 5" spring but if you go that short, you should make sure it fits the adjuster so you can raise it if its too low. i also have 5.5" AST springs that im selling for 110 shipped, (they are around 85 each new). they will get you dumped in the rear, but they are 683lbs and you would need properly valved shocks for damping.

Last edited by NegativeCamber; 09-08-2010, 12:26 PM.
                  Originally posted by Kielan
                  I've had a lot more fun in my Dad's Prius than I care to admit.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

Working...
                  X