Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

interior painting/dyeing on fabric/vinyl/leather etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interior painting/dyeing on fabric/vinyl/leather etc.

(this became into a long essay, but please bear with it and please read)

alright so i'm tired of my dull grey interior but it would cost thousands to reupholster/dye my seats, carpet, panels, and stuff. and my ol' honda is not worth spending thousands on IMO. however, the good ol' saying "you get what you pay for" comes in mind. that's when i think doing this stuff is stupid and ignorant.

but when i do research on the my search engines and youtube, i read half of the people that have done it say its horrible, and the other half say it comes out nice. 50-50 ratio. the people that don't like it say that when they spray the fabric, it leaves it all stiff and stuff when dry. the people that say its good do have a good explanation. they say that they might not have used fabric paint and used regular paint instead, hence fabric paint is water based, which is basically dye, and not paint. in result, leaving the fabric soft to the touch and is permanent on the fabric, and will not stick to clothing. EXACTLY WHAT DYE DOES.

now, on to vinyl painting for vinyl and other interior panels. it is said through my research that vinyl paint and regular paint is different. (of course...duhh) vinyl paint is flexible and regular is not. so if regular paint is used: in heat, the vinyl expands and will cause the paint to crack; in the cold, vinyl contracts and will also contract the paint causing to bubble, peel, and crack as well.

i know this whole dying/painting stuff is for the cheap losers (like me) but from reading my research, it is pretty convincing. and in my opinion, if it is done right, then it will be right. and it sounds convincingly durable enough, but idk yet. and since i have fabric instead of leather, i wouldn't have to worry about cracking paint beneath my ass.

fabric dyeing. the way it was done in this video looks rushed and not right. for crying out loud, the head rest wasn't even taken off :facepalm:
    Tired or faded car interiors and carpets can look like new with Upholstery Spray Paint. Look how easy it is to change the colour of this car's upholstery. Sa...

drunk guy painting a piece of a center console
    The Rusty Rabbit gets into interior repairs and Painting/dye jobs.

also, try reading the comments and inputs of the experienced in those links...

here's a prime example of my buddy christian's car with painted interior and dyed carpet etc. (i couldn't really find a better before pic)

before (tan):

after (black w/ wood grain):

and a pic of the car just for kicks and giggles

he recently just did this, so idk how durable this whole madness is so far.

i would've cited my sources to prove where i got my information from, but that would be too much. it's all pretty much common sense :

so most of you would just tell me "save up and do it right" and stuff of that sort. but i have a life to save up my money for and my car ain't my life. so if you could give me any inputs besides that, then i would greatly appreciate it.

thanks SW
    Last edited by FindingNimo; 09-04-2010, 05:07 AM.
Working...
X